[Taxacom] Open access?

Roderic Page r.page at bio.gla.ac.uk
Wed Jun 5 07:39:53 CDT 2013

Paul,

Nobody cares what you do with a few PDFs on your computer, do whatever you want (assuming the publisher hasn't locked the PDF, which happens sometimes).

Publishers start to care when:

a) You do an Aaron Swartz and download a lot of articles to mine them. Things ended rather badly for him (yes, it's a complicated story, but a sobering one, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aaron_Swartz )

b) Make the output of that mining available to others. If you have managed to extract the core information in those papers, then publishers wonder why would anybody bother reading the papers anymore. That, of course, is precisely the point.

Regards

Rod

Graham Kerr Building
University of Glasgow