[Taxacom] Open access?

Lyubomir Penev lyubo.penev at gmail.com
Wed Jun 5 07:55:44 CDT 2013

This time I won't speak as a publisher of open access journals, but as a
consumer.

In our work flow we try to link all relevant information associated with a
taxon name, or even a collection specimen (or whatever important text
string within a paper). One of the major obstacles in our work is that
sometimes we link to an open access article (or even to a page within an
article) for anyone quickly to view (it can be recently published OA
article or copyright-free article on BHL or BioNames). Sometimes, our links
land on pay walls, or often at articles for which copyright is not cleared
yet (imagine such produced by former state-owned academic publisher in
Eastern Europe that do not exist anymore). In the later cases, the link
simply do not fulfill its goal and the reader can't use it for a quick
delivery of the information at the time of reading a publication, that is
immediately.

Add to this that it may happen that one links to a copyrighted article
available freely on the Net, but not on a save legal ground.

The problem of copyright for taxon treatments seems to be solved by Plazi
(see Agosti and Egloff 2009 <http://www.biomedcentral.com/1756-0500/2/53>),
but when we shall be able to mark up all legacy treatments and put them on
the the Plazi Treatment Repository or elsewhere, so that to link to these
at a large scale? And there is quite more to markup and use beyond the
treatments themselves.

I do not mention the problems with data mining outlined in the previous
post of Rod, which may lead to a really new advanced models of re-use of
published information and increase of the efficiency of science, in general.

In short, it is indeed not just about who (and how much) pays for open
access and who reads for free! Far not!

Cheers,
Lyubomir

Dr. Lyubomir Penev