[Taxacom] Open access?

Richard Pyle deepreef at bishopmuseum.org
Thu Jun 6 15:38:56 CDT 2013

Thanks, Brian --

Yes, this suggestion (ZooBank as a e-document repository) was very seriously
considered during the deliberations about the E-Publication Amendment to the
Code.  At that time, BHL was contemplating establishing a "safe harbor"
repository of sorts that would fulfill that purpose, so for this and various
other reasons, we decided that it was not the optimal time to establish such
a repository/archive.  One of the other factors that was unclear at the time
was the level of difficulty publishers would have in having their electronic
works deposited in an existing archive.

Another main factor we considered was that the primary function of ZooBank
was for registration; not as a repository of electronic documents.  As such,
all of our efforts were focused on establishing the "registry" component of
ZooBank.  Now that this aspect of ZooBank seems to be (reasonably) stable,
it might be a good time to start thinking about "what's next".  In my mind,
there is already a list of high-priority "what's next" features in the works
(e.g., automated registration by publishers; more robust cross-linking and
integration with other databases; such as CoL, EoL, GBIF, BioNames,
nomenclators, etc.; adding core features such as support for other kinds of
published works besides books and articles, and other kinds of nomenclatural
acts besides new names; etc.)

However, I think it's also reasonable to re-visit this question of "ZooBank
as a repository/archive for electronic documents representing published
works in the sense of the ICZN Code".  At one level, it's incredibly simple
to implement (some hard disk space and a button to upload PDFs and other
documents).  At another level, though, there is a minefield of issues
(copyright, access restrictions, backup, etc.) that would require some
non-trivial discussion to sort out.

A potential compromise pathway would be to partner more closely with an
organization like PLAZI, such that treatments of taxonomic/nomenclatural
works are deposited in a structured form, in a way that makes the relevant
bits of information freely accessible without encroaching into the
never-never-land of copyright.

Aloha,
Rich