[Taxacom] Costello on species again: new paper

Stephen Thorpe stephen_thorpe at yahoo.co.nz
Sat Jun 8 18:47:26 CDT 2013

I think I understand better now what Costello is trying to do. I think he is trying to argue against the attitude which says that it is futile to continue to fund taxonomy, because there is effectively an endless number of new species out there. Costello, I suggest, is saying "no, it isn't endless ... continue to fund taxonomy and we can get it completed in the foreseeable future". But, of course, he can't just *say* that, he has to support it with hard data and stats. Unfortunately, I think that this is impossible, due to all the taxonomic and geographical biases, and the fact that taxonomy changes over time, so more work is needed nowadays to describe a species than in the past.  Unfortunately again, I think that the impossibility above doesn't deter Costello from doing it anyway, so we end up with a mish mash of conflicting vaguaries, supported by irrelevant stats, indended, perhaps, to "blind the reader with science", so that they accept the
 desired conclusion ...

Stephen