[Taxacom] Zootaxa appears to be missing an issue online

Ross Mounce rcpm20 at bath.ac.uk
Mon Jun 10 20:48:42 CDT 2013

I initially forgot to reply all. Re-posting to the list...

On Mon, 10 Jun 2013 18:19:28 -0700 (PDT)
Stephen Thorpe <stephen_thorpe at yahoo.co.nz> wrote:

> A google search picks up the link to the abstract (http://www.mapress.com/zootaxa/2005f/z00968f.pdf), so it's no big deal ...

That's assuming people use a plain Google search as their jumping-off point... Don't most people use Scopus or Web of Knowledge to search for papers?

As an example of the difficulty... From a literature search in Web of Knowledge and/or Scopus, if one finds the record of it, the library resolver service (SFX by Ex Libris Inc, for University of Bath) can't provide a link to it either : "Full text online  Sorry, no full text found for this item"

Even if I search for "A new species of the genus Odonteus (Coleoptera : Geotrupidae) from northern Pakistan" in Google Scholar, I don't get a link to the paper! (Try it yourself, it appears top for sure, but no link)

If neither Google Scholar, Scopus, Web of Knowledge, or the official 'by year' publisher website can find the article... I'm willing to bet that does have some adverse effect on the discoverability of the paper.

It seems to me one has to work rather hard to find the hidden URL for this paper. It *is* online, but can only be found if one looks for it with certain methods...