[Taxacom] Zootaxa appears to be missing an issue online

Stephen Thorpe stephen_thorpe at yahoo.co.nz
Mon Jun 10 20:57:18 CDT 2013

At any rate, I have now put in on Wikispecies (http://species.wikimedia.org/wiki/Odonteus_gandhara), always a good place to start a search for species ...

________________________________
From: Ross Mounce <rcpm20 at bath.ac.uk>
To: Stephen Thorpe <stephen_thorpe at yahoo.co.nz>
Cc: "taxacom at mailman.nhm.ku.edu" <taxacom at mailman.nhm.ku.edu>; "zhangz at landcareresearch.co.nz" <zhangz at landcareresearch.co.nz>
Sent: Tuesday, 11 June 2013 1:48 PM
Subject: Re: [Taxacom] Zootaxa appears to be missing an issue online

I initially forgot to reply all. Re-posting to the list...

On Mon, 10 Jun 2013 18:19:28 -0700 (PDT)
Stephen Thorpe <stephen_thorpe at yahoo.co.nz> wrote:

> A google search picks up the link to the abstract (http://www.mapress.com/zootaxa/2005f/z00968f.pdf), so it's no big deal ...

That's assuming people use a plain Google search as their jumping-off point... Don't most people use Scopus or Web of Knowledge to search for papers?

As an example of the difficulty... From a literature search in Web of Knowledge and/or Scopus, if one finds the record of it, the library resolver service (SFX by Ex Libris Inc, for University of Bath) can't provide a link to it either : "Full text onlineĀ  Sorry, no full text found for this item"

Even if I search for "A new species of the genus Odonteus (Coleoptera : Geotrupidae) from northern Pakistan" in Google Scholar, I don't get a link to the paper! (Try it yourself, it appears top for sure, but no link)

If neither Google Scholar, Scopus, Web of Knowledge, or the official 'by year' publisher website can find the article... I'm willing to bet that does have some adverse effect on the discoverability of the paper.

It seems to me one has to work rather hard to find the hidden URL for this paper. It *is* online, but can only be found if one looks for it with certain methods...