[Taxacom] San Francisco Declaration on Research Assessment

Raab-Straube von , Eckhard E.Raab-Straube at BGBM.ORG
Wed Jun 12 08:13:37 CDT 2013

DORA is not against the use of evaluation metrics in general. It questions the value of the best known and probably most misused one, the Journal Impact Factor.

Cheers, Eckhard

-----Urspr√ľngliche Nachricht-----
Von: taxacom-bounces at mailman.nhm.ku.edu [mailto:taxacom-bounces at mailman.nhm.ku.edu] Im Auftrag von Roderic Page
Gesendet: Mittwoch, 12. Juni 2013 12:07
An: Raab-Straube von , Eckhard
Cc: taxacom at mailman.nhm.ku.edu
Betreff: Re: [Taxacom] San Francisco Declaration on Research Assessment

This, by itself, doesn't change much. Metrics will still be used (citations of individual publications, altmetrics such as references in blog posts and tweets, bookmarking, data reuse, etc.). The trick will be seeing what measures fall out as being seen as the "best" or most "relevant" when evaluating the value of a researcher's work, then seeing how well taxonomic work will perform against those metrics.

Regards

Rod

On 12 Jun 2013, at 10:31, Raab-Straube von , Eckhard wrote:

> Dear Taxacomers,
>
> the American Society for Cell Biology has initiated a declaration on research assessment (DORA), which opposes the use of the Journal Impact Factor as a measure for research quality of individuals and institutions. This message seems not to be very widespread among taxonomists so far, so I think it is worth reading the declaration at  http://am.ascb.org/dora/. Interestingly, the present Editor-in-Chief of Science, Bruce Alberts, is among the first signees of that declaration.
>
> Best wishes,
>
> Eckhard von Raab-Straube (Berlin)

> (2) a Google search specified as:
>
> Celebrating 26 years of Taxacom in 2013.

Roderic Page
Professor of Taxonomy
Institute of Biodiversity, Animal Health and Comparative Medicine College of Medical, Veterinary and Life Sciences Graham Kerr Building University of Glasgow Glasgow G12 8QQ, UK

Email: r.page at bio.gla.ac.uk
Tel: +44 141 330 4778
Fax: +44 141 330 2792
Skype: rdmpage