[Taxacom] San Francisco Declaration on Research Assessment

Philipp Wagner philipp.wagner.zfmk at uni-bonn.de
Thu Jun 13 00:58:53 CDT 2013

> “the scientific content of a paper is much more important than publication metrics
>or the identity of the journal in which it was published.”

Of course the scientific content is more important than
publication metrics, especially as in taxonomy you often
have small groups of scientists
who are able to cite such a paper.
But, especially in nomenclature and taxonomy and internet
possibilities in recent days there should be a minimum of
journal requirements.
Everybody can run his own writing everything he wants
without any peer-review. So the "identity of the journal"
should not be ignored.

> Is a statement of the obvious and yet one deliberately
>overlooked way
> too often. Try for example the rant by Kaiser et al
>(2013) who views all herpetological
> journals other than those they control as “unworthy”.
>The content of the
> relevant papers published elsewhere is so irrelevant
>that they don’t even read
> them before criticising them and seeking to boycott
>them!
>

> Snakebustersâ - Australia's best reptilesâ
>
> The only hands-on reptilesâ shows that lets people hold
>the animalsâ.
>
> Reptile partiesâ, events, courses
> Phones: 9812 3322
>
> 0412 777 211
>

>> From: E.Raab-Straube at BGBM.ORG
>> To: taxacom at mailman.nhm.ku.edu
>> Date: Wed, 12 Jun 2013 11:31:31 +0200
>> Subject: [Taxacom] San Francisco Declaration on Research
>>Assessment
>>
>> Dear Taxacomers,
>>
>> the American Society for Cell Biology has initiated a
>>declaration on research assessment (DORA), which opposes
>>the use of the Journal Impact Factor as a measure for
>>research quality of individuals and institutions. This
>>message seems not to be very widespread among taxonomists
>>so far, so I think it is worth reading the declaration at
>> http://am.ascb.org/dora/. Interestingly, the present
>>Editor-in-Chief of Science, Bruce Alberts, is among the
>>first signees of that declaration.
>>
>> Best wishes,
>>
>> Eckhard von Raab-Straube (Berlin)
>>
>> The Taxacom Archive back to 1992 may be searched with
>>either of these methods:

>> (2) a Google search specified as:
>> site:mailman.nhm.ku.edu/pipermail/taxacom  your search
>>terms here
>>
>> Celebrating 26 years of Taxacom in 2013.

> The Taxacom Archive back to 1992 may be searched with
>either of these methods:

> (2) a Google search specified as:
> site:mailman.nhm.ku.edu/pipermail/taxacom  your search
>terms here
>
> Celebrating 26 years of Taxacom in 2013.

Dr. Philipp Wagner

Current Institution:
Department of Biology
Villanova University
800 Lancaster Avenue
Villanova, Pennsylvania 19085, USA

Home Institution:
Zoologisches Forschungsmuseum Alexander Koenig
Sektion Herpetologie
Adenauerallee 160
D-53113 Bonn
Deutschland