[Taxacom] San Francisco Declaration on Research Assessment

David Campbell pleuronaia at gmail.com
Thu Jun 13 17:26:32 CDT 2013

Perhaps we can suggest some desirable features of better metrics.  An
obvious problem with the impact factor is that it only considers a few
years after publication, whereas taxonomy tends to be a much more long-term
endeavor.  Also, non-taxonomic publications rarely cite how they identified
their material (even taxonomic publications often don't provide full
citation).  How much should we cite the authorship of higher taxa?
Obviously Linnaeus isn't going to benefit much from getting more citations
in the coming years; on the other hand, citations of early literature might
be useful evidence of the value of collections, digitizing literature and
specimens, etc.

Another way in which the journal affects accessibility is that major
databases more often track the big-name journals than the more specialized
or less prominent.  In GenBank, for example, "unpublished" or "in press"
often merely means that GenBank didn't notice that something got
published.