[Taxacom] Botanical Networks

Quentin Groom quentin.groom at br.fgov.be
Mon Jun 17 03:17:23 CDT 2013

I've been experimenting with digitised herbarium specimen data to
visualize the interactions between botanists in the late 19th century
and early 20th century (http://www.botanicalkeys.co.uk/network/).
I thought you might be interested in this use of specimen data to reveal
the networks of scientists, which are usually only revealed through
co-authorship and correspondence.
I'm not exactly sure what use could be made of these networks. I'm
personally interested in them from the historical and social
perspective, but they may also be useful for the validation of data.

These visualization were created from Gephi with a plugin from the
Oxford Internet Institute (http://blogs.oii.ox.ac.uk/vis/?p=191).

This tool might also be useful to create online visualization of the
links between species, such as food webs.

Regards
Quentin

--
Dr. Quentin Groom