[Taxacom] A new way to view taxonomic publications

Dave Roberts workpackage6 at gmail.com
Thu Jun 20 11:17:50 CDT 2013

Dear Rod,

I agree and I was not underestimating the chances of being lucky that someone has released some specific paper.  The NHM journals are all in BHL, for example..  I am constantly impressed with the rapid growth in digital copies [of old materials] that are freely available.  Its often worth repeating a search that came up empty before.

My point was that BHL was forced into a series of ad-hoc agreements with individual publishers that, in many cases, did not bring the economies of scale.  Quentin's proposal was about that industrial scale.  If you have to pick and choose your journals, or worse, articles, then the scale just isn't there and we're probably better off with small projects focussing on stuff that are priorities for that project.

I indicated support Quentin's idea, but its important to recognise the bottlenecks and he resources that will be needed to relieve them.

Cheers, Dave
--.