[Taxacom] Data query

Frank.Krell at dmns.org Frank.Krell at dmns.org
Sun Jun 23 09:43:29 CDT 2013

"I for one fail to see the point of 'mega-projects' using copied, re-copied and 'machine-read' data."

particularly since they still make data retrieval pretty frustrating. I just googled the rhinoceros beetle Temnorhynchus sjoestedti. Apart from some of my own papers, the search revealed 15 pages repeating zero information. Well, I know now that it belongs to Protostomia and Insecta, and that it is a dynastine. This kind of outcome is the same for most species in the world, and has remained largely unchanged for years, apart from the fact that the number of pages revealing this information has increased. Reality can be frustrating.

Frank

Dr. Frank-T. Krell
Curator of Entomology
Chair, ICZN ZooBank Committee
Department of Zoology
Denver Museum of Nature & Science
2001 Colorado Boulevard
Denver, CO 80205-5798 USA
Frank.Krell at dmns.org
Phone: (+1) (303) 370-8244
Fax: (+1) (303) 331-6492
lab page: http://www.dmns.org/krell-lab
The Denver Museum of Nature & Science aspires to create a community of critical thinkers who understand the lessons of the past and act as responsible stewards of the future.