[Taxacom] Data query

Stephen Thorpe stephen_thorpe at yahoo.co.nz
Sun Jun 23 15:26:54 CDT 2013

>I for one fail to see the point of 'mega-projects' using copied, re-copied and 'machine-read' data.<

Let's say it as it is: there are two factors at play here, (1) users who seek taxonomic information; and (2) a whole biodiversity informatics industry which needs constant feeding (somewhat like shovelling coal into the engines of the Titanic!) If you only cater to (1), then (2) doesn't get enough coal (data in a format that they can do things with, "play with") to keep the engines running ...

Stephen

Some outstanding examples of authoritative dedicated ('clean bucket') websites:

http://www.diptera.org/

http://www.museum.wa.gov.au/catalogues/pseudoscorpions/

Many more included here:

I for one fail to see the point of 'mega-projects' using copied, re-copied and 'machine-read' data.

Priyantha

D. P. Wijesinghe
dpwijesinghe at yahoo.com