[Taxacom] Data query

Tony.Rees at csiro.au Tony.Rees at csiro.au
Sun Jun 23 18:57:36 CDT 2013

Hi Stephen,

Your work on Wikispecies for this taxon looks good. You might also wish to know that at genus level, Temnorhynchus Hope, 1837 is in fact a senior homonym, having been used later for a snake in fam. Colubridae by Smith, 1849 (according to Nomenclator Zoologicus), that name later replaced by Ligonirostra Cope, 1863, however the latter name appears to be currently superfluous since Smith's (presumed type) species T. sundevalli is now placed in Prosymna Gray, 1849 (or was, the last time I looked.). Incidentally, you will also find Temnorhynchus spelled Temnorrhynchus in some sources (some fuzzy matching being beneficial here...)

While I agree with Frank on the lack of added value in simply re-publishing lists of taxonomic names already available elsewhere, I also see a niche or possibly niches in doing something new with the data which in my case includes integration of data from multiple lists into something larger from which observations such as those above can then be made.

Regards - Tony

Tony Rees
Manager, Divisional Data Centre,
CSIRO Marine and Atmospheric Research,