[Taxacom] Authorship citation in systematics

Ken Kinman kinman at hotmail.com
Sun Jun 23 21:02:04 CDT 2013

Hi Richard:

       This is basically the format which I used in Kinman, 1977 (my unpublished catalog of the World's Mammals).  However, I only used parentheses when the author surname and date required them (i.e, originally named under a different genus name).  I would follow that with an acronym for the museum where the type specimen was located and a brief description of the geographic range, plus any synonyms (with their author and year).  As an example, on page 320 under the genus Ursus:

 U. (Euarctos) americanus (American black bear)

     U. a. altifrontalis Elliot, 1903: 234 (FMNH) (SW Brit. Columbia to NW California)

     U. a. amblyceps Baird, 1859: 29 (USNM) (New Mexico and adjacent states)

                ...... and so on.

      Unfortunately, when my 1977 catalog became the basis for the published catalog of world mammals (Honacki, Kinman, and Koeppl) several years later, it became only a listing of species (subspecies were deleted), and the location of the type specimen was likewise deleted.  Such information could have been easily included if only one bibliographic citation had been used, instead of giving a full citation in the text no matter how many times it appeared.  Lots of other wasted space in the format in my opinion, as well as the omitted data, but I was overruled.  So it goes.

                  -------------Ken Kinman