[Taxacom] Data query

Stephen Thorpe stephen_thorpe at yahoo.co.nz
Tue Jun 25 04:03:47 CDT 2013

Ha, and look who it was who removed the ZooBank on Wikipedia! Stemonitis! The same guy who had me permanently blocked from Wikipedia, some time ago, you may recall. However, I feel confident that my "good friend" Entomologist2 will replace it! Oh look, it is done (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lauriea_siagiani)! He is on to it, that guy! Now there are links between Wikipedia, Wikispecies and ZooBank for that taxon ...
Wikipedia (as opposed to Wikipecies) can be a bit of a problem ...

From: Richard Pyle <deepreef at bishopmuseum.org>
To: 'Stephen Thorpe' <stephen_thorpe at yahoo.co.nz>; Tony.Rees at csiro.au; mesibov at southcom.com.au 
Cc: taxacom at mailman.nhm.ku.edu 
Sent: Tuesday, 25 June 2013 8:04 PM
Subject: RE: [Taxacom] Data query

No, you missed the point of my diatribe:  What you see on the ZooBank web page is calling a general service for external identifiers.  Because it’s being called from ZooBank, it returns the links from ZooBank. But we’re building that service such that *anyone* can pass *any* of their own identifiers at the service, and get the exact same list pivoted around their own identifier.
In other words, the architecture is such that it doesn’t matter where you start with an identifier, you get all the cross-links back.
By the way, another new(ish) feature on ZooBank is the link to GNI services.  If you click on the link for “18 Related Names”, you’ll see even more links from GNI.  I went ahead and did that, which led me to four more cross-links (CoL, BioLib, Aquatab and ION).  In less than a minute, I had all four linked (which means all four are now cross-linked to all other identifiers -- and all other identifiers are, likewise, now linked back to these four).
Oh, and another thing.  I know that WikiSpecies is different from Wikipedia – but let me tell you an example of a “lose-lose” involving Wikipedia.
Rob Whitton registered the species Lauriea siagiani Baba, 1994 on ZooBank:
As he was Googling around for that species, he discovered there was no page for it on Wikipedia, so he created one.  He diligently added a link back to ZooBank, as any reasonable person would do.  Within 24 hours, someone else had edited the Wikipedia page, added a link to WoRMS and – for reasons that are utterly inexplicable to me – REMOVED the link to ZooBank.  WTF?!?!
Rob shrugged it off with a laugh; but it kind of pissed me off a bit.  Here someone had taken the time to create a cross-link, and then someone else put in MORE time to DELETE that cross-link!  That just doesn’t make any sense at all to me.  Who gains from that? Am I to conclude that editors of Wikipedia pages are less than honorable?  I think it’s great that the WoRMS link was added – but why on EARTH remove the ZooBank link?
Anyway, just to demonstrate that I’m not the sort who holds grudges, I just now added the link to Wikipedia from ZooBank.  And just for fun I checked the GNI feature, and within about a minute or so I added additional inks to EoL, ION, IRMNG, WikiSpecies, and WoRMS.
From:Stephen Thorpe [mailto:stephen_thorpe at yahoo.co.nz] 
Sent: Monday, June 24, 2013 9:08 PM
To: Richard Pyle; Tony.Rees at csiro.au; mesibov at southcom.com.au
Cc: taxacom at mailman.nhm.ku.edu
Subject: Re: [Taxacom] Data query
Thanks Rich, I have just now put a link back from the Wikispecies page to ZooBank, see: 
There are just a couple of things: (1) it should be possible to create these links automatically from ZooBank to Wikispecies (though more difficult in the other direction because of ZooBank's arbirary LSIDs). Pensoft do this in their taxon profiles, and they can somehow test if a WS page exists, and only display the link if it does. (2) I'm not sure I entirely agree that what you have done links all the projects to each other ... no, it links ZooBank to all of them, but that is a slight but important difference ...

More information about the Taxacom mailing list