[Taxacom] Data query

Stephen Thorpe stephen_thorpe at yahoo.co.nz
Tue Jun 25 04:44:26 CDT 2013

I still don't quite understand! If a human has to make the link between two identifiers, then why not just use the name, Wikispecies style, which would be completely automatic in all but a very few cases of homonymy, where a human could then intervene. The net result would be far less human work, surely! If all linked databases used the name as the identifier, then they could talk to each other quite happily! I really don't buy that variable identifier length would be a big problem. If everything is done correctly, a link to Wikispecies using a homonym will go to a disambiguation page from which you can choose which homonym you want. The individual URLs for the homonyms may have an arbitrary bit, but the numbers of cases is very small compared to the total, so only these relatively few would require human matching between databases, not the whole bloody lot!

Stephen