[Taxacom] teleology example

John Grehan calabar.john at gmail.com
Mon Mar 11 05:30:22 CDT 2013

Curtis raises some good points here (and in previous postings). Perhaps it
does not matter whether the 'sloppiness' is in the thinking or the writing
(although as a purely personal opinion I tend to think that the two go
together - that trying to make a distinction is artificial. Certainly when
my writing has been sloppy I recognize that it is a reflection of my
thinking, not independent of it).

The real nature of the problem may be that there is this a pervasive and
explicit language of teleology in evolutionary biology that is perfectly at
home with theologically based approaches such as intelligent design and
creationism. It is surprising to me that these latter perspectives have not
focused on this concordance (at least as far as I know, not having followed
their arguments over time). The problem with teleology is not that it is
used, but that it is not science in the sense that it is not open to
empirical analysis in ways in terms of what is generally understood to be
science by those who practice it.

The Winters example is just an example that exemplifies the whole as there
are innumerable examples throughout evolutionary biology. It is
so pervasive that there would be no point in mentioning any one more than
another on the list. But in this case the teleological statement was so
explicit and direct that it was worthy of notice.

Ironically, most cases of teleology are easy to avoid in science. So the
question comes down to why it is not avoided. My personal view is that for
many biologists, evolution has become a substitute for
traditional religious belief - which would explain a lot of the hostility
that arises in evolutionary biology when certain fundamental 'truths' are
challenged, and the sometimes deified or saintified  state given to Darwin.

John Grehan