[Taxacom] Molecular data in mycology/systematics

Kirk Fitzhugh kfitzhugh at nhm.org
Fri May 3 19:42:02 CDT 2013

The paper refers to an often-stated issue that has intrigued me for a
while, "it is widely accepted that [maximum likelihood & Bayesianism]
are better able to correct for spurious effects caused by long-branch
attraction, which is a problem of major concern in phylogenetic inference."

If one knows /a priori/ that their observation statements of shared
similarities are in fact not shared similarities, then wouldn't the
solution be to rename those characters as different prior to inferring
phylogenetic hypotheses, rather than implementing an algorithm that
assumes not-similarity for observations one claims are shared
similarities? It goes to the matter that if cladograms are explanatory
vehicles, then they are answers to particular why-questions, and
why-questions regarding shared similarities presume the truth of those
observations.

Kirk

--
J. Kirk Fitzhugh, Ph.D.