[Taxacom] Data quality of aggregated datasets

Robert Mesibov mesibov at southcom.com.au
Tue May 7 00:56:15 CDT 2013

Doug Yanega wrote:

"That means that legacy material being georeferenced NOW is almost all being given coordinates based on a resource like Google Earth, /which uses WGS 84/."

Collectors are using Google Earth more and more to georeference their sites. Expect to see lots of published or databased lat/lon data like
22°06'57.54"S
117°53'15.31"E,
with one-hundredth-of-a-second accuracy, because that's the default for cursor position in Google Earth. In my part of the world, that's about +/- 15 cm on the ground.

I've just checked, and the Australian Bureau of Meteorology says the current temperature in Melbourne, which sprawls over ca 9000 sq. km, is 18.7 C.

It's the triumph of the 'The More Numbers, The More Scientific' school of thought. I'm glad I've lived to see it. For the curious, I'm 24532.376 days old.
--
Dr Robert Mesibov
Honorary Research Associate