[Taxacom] Data quality of aggregated datasets

Quentin Groom quentin.groom at br.fgov.be
Tue May 7 02:26:58 CDT 2013

This is the problem I've always had with the point-radius method. It
encourages people to document a very precise coordinate and then account
for the error in the radius. The error should be obvious from the number
of decimal places you write, just like any other measurement. The radius
to me is completely irrelevant, there are no statistical methods to use
this information and it doesn't even help you find the original
collection site. In ecological surveys the areas are gridded and the
error is defined by the size of the grid squares. When modelling
distributions, all the current methods uses gridded data and ignore
error radii. When georeferencing legacy material it can be difficult to
assign a location to one grid square or another, however, we are fooling
ourselves if we think the point-radius method is more accurate.
Regards
Quentin

--
Dr. Quentin Groom