[Taxacom] Accuracy of GPS Receivers, was: Re: Data quality of aggregated datasets

Tom Schweich tas27 at schweich.com
Tue May 7 16:55:54 CDT 2013

On 5/7/2013 1:57 PM, Richard Pyle wrote:
> I'm not
> sure how such devices estimate the error radius, and I'm not sure how the
> average field biologist would find out.
One week I frightened my neighbors by bicycling in a course between 7
known Control Points all within about 5 blocks of my house, taking GPS
measurements.  I made 14 circuits collecting 98 location measurements.
The RMS error of my GPS, a Garmin 76csx, is between 4-5 meters. There is
also a very distinct bias a few meters to the north northeast.  If I
could account for that bias I could say that the accuracy of my GPS was
2-3 meters.

Tom Schweich KJ6BIT tas27 at schweich.com
http://www.schweich.com
http://twitter.com/schweich