[Taxacom] Data quality of aggregated datasets

David Campbell pleuronaia at gmail.com
Wed May 8 13:36:04 CDT 2013

More generally, this illustrates the importance of having someone with some
clue about the relevant physical and biological geography involved in the
process.  I dealt with a large number of old labels which had been
databased as Viti Island.  However, examining the original label revealed
that it had been Islands, a much more general locality, particularly if one
happens to know that Viti is an older spelling of Fiji.  As is, the
database suggests a specific island, and thus undue precision.