[Taxacom] John Witt Randall labels/handwriting

Frank.Krell at dmns.org Frank.Krell at dmns.org
Sat May 11 01:07:57 CDT 2013

Dear all,
In November 2011 I asked the list about the whereabouts of insect specimens of John Witt Randall who had described beetles in the Boston Journal of Natural History in 1838 and Crustacea in the Journal of the Academy of Natural Sciences in 1839. I thank everybody who answered, but nobody seems to have been successful in locating Randall material. I am still searching. Since the Boston Society of Natural History engaged in exchanging thousands of specimens, Randall’s material (via Harris’s collection) might have travelled anywhere.
A colleague of mine has recently found a couple of old specimens with Randall’s species name on a handwritten label (a name hardly ever used by anyone else), a locality label containing the locus typicus, and another label “Ent Club 44-12” (Boston Society had a Harris Entomological Club from 1864-1886). This could be Randall’s material, but before we can be sure, I would like to compare the labels with any example of Randall’s handwriting available.

Does anybody know of published of preserved examples of Randall’s handwriting (labels/letters)?

Thanks for your help.

Frank

Dr. Frank-T. Krell
Curator of Entomology
Chair, ICZN ZooBank Committee
Department of Zoology
Denver Museum of Nature & Science
2001 Colorado Boulevard
Denver, CO 80205-5798 USA
Frank.Krell at dmns.org
Phone: (+1) (303) 370-8244
Fax: (+1) (303) 331-6492
lab page: http://www.dmns.org/krell-lab

The Denver Museum of Nature & Science aspires to create a community of critical thinkers who understand the lessons of the past and act as responsible stewards of the future.