Wolfgang Wuster w.wuster at bangor.ac.uk
Tue May 14 17:44:59 CDT 2013

On 14/05/2013 23:30, Stephen Thorpe wrote:
> What we need is a coping strategy for dealing with poor quality
> taxonomy and its associated nomenclature. Mostly it is easy. If Hoser
> or whoever splits a genus into 10 genera, then you just treat them all
> as synonyms if you disagree. This makes the author of those new genera
> look foolish. Most such authors will probably take the hint before too
> long ...

That's entirely true for the unnecessary splits - those names go
straight into synonymy where they will bother (almost) no-one.

The problematic cases are those where one of the many names happens to
end up as the oldest available name for a taxon that later genuine
scientific work identifies as biologically real. Those who did the real
work are then relegated to "redescribing" a taxon that has been named on
the basis of no evidence, and are thus robbed of part of the fruit of
their labour.

--
Dr. Wolfgang Wüster  -  Senior Lecturer
School of Biological Sciences    Bangor University
E-mail: w.wuster at bangor.ac.uk
http://pages.bangor.ac.uk/~bss166/

--
Rhif Elusen Gofrestredig / Registered Charity No. 1141565

Gall y neges e-bost hon, ac unrhyw atodiadau a anfonwyd gyda hi,
gynnwys deunydd cyfrinachol ac wedi eu bwriadu i'w defnyddio'n unig
gan y sawl y cawsant eu cyfeirio ato (atynt). Os ydych wedi derbyn y
neges e-bost hon trwy gamgymeriad, rhowch wybod i'r anfonwr ar
unwaith a dilëwch y neges. Os na fwriadwyd anfon y neges atoch chi,
rhaid i chi beidio â defnyddio, cadw neu ddatgelu unrhyw wybodaeth a
gynhwysir ynddi. Mae unrhyw farn neu safbwynt yn eiddo i'r sawl a'i
hanfonodd yn unig  ac nid yw o anghenraid yn cynrychioli barn
Prifysgol Bangor. Nid yw Prifysgol Bangor yn gwarantu
bod y neges e-bost hon neu unrhyw atodiadau yn rhydd rhag firysau neu
100% yn ddiogel. Oni bai fod hyn wedi ei ddatgan yn uniongyrchol yn
nhestun yr e-bost, nid bwriad y neges e-bost hon yw ffurfio contract
rhwymol - mae rhestr o lofnodwyr awdurdodedig ar gael o Swyddfa
Cyllid Prifysgol Bangor.  www.bangor.ac.uk

This email and any attachments may contain confidential material and
is solely for the use of the intended recipient(s).  If you have
received this email in error, please notify the sender immediately
and delete this email.  If you are not the intended recipient(s), you
must not use, retain or disclose any information contained in this
email.  Any views or opinions are solely those of the sender and do
not necessarily represent those of Bangor University.
Bangor University does not guarantee that this email or
any attachments are free from viruses or 100% secure.  Unless
expressly stated in the body of the text of the email, this email is
not intended to form a binding contract - a list of authorised
signatories is available from the Bangor University Finance
Office.  www.bangor.ac.uk