Stephen Thorpe stephen_thorpe at yahoo.co.nz
Tue May 14 18:08:18 CDT 2013

Well, I'm not a big fan of LANs, but at least they are, strictly speaking, Code compliant, since the Code allows for them. The Code does not permit ignoring available names (except by virtue of a LAN), nor should it, because this would be a slippery slope to nomenclatural chaos! What I don't quite understand about LANs is how they apply to new names proposed  after the LAN is published? Can they predetermine that, say, Hoser's next new name is unavailable? How often would it have to be updated and revisited to deal with a constant stream of newly published problematic names??

Stephen