JF Mate aphodiinaemate at gmail.com
Wed May 15 14:25:19 CDT 2013

I find it difficult to explain the loophole but it is something like this
excerpt from Wikipedia:

"...In 2009, (name removed) started his own journal, the Australasian
Journal of Herpetology, for which he is editor and, as of March 2012, the
sole contributing author..."

I can also think of a couple other entomological journals, one well known
to some Taxacom members, and all sharing similar features. I agree with
Paul that "peer review" is more like a hope that it leads to better quality
work, once you accept it is applied by human beings with their particular
weaknesses. A clear and specific definition of "valid publication" could be
developed that at least minimizes the damage.

Of course it could be misconstrued as limiting potential outlets, but in
its current incarnation it allows anybody to start their own journal and
happily publish away. They don´t even need to review their own papers, let
alone have someone else check them out. And I think that everybody agrees
that there is something inherently wrong about this. Maybe in another
decade I won´t care.

Jason