Wolfgang Wuster w.wuster at bangor.ac.uk
Wed May 15 15:01:33 CDT 2013

On 15/05/2013 20:25, JF Mate wrote:
> I find it difficult to explain the loophole but it is something like this
> excerpt from Wikipedia:
>
> "...In 2009, (name removed) started his own journal, the Australasian
> Journal of Herpetology, for which he is editor and, as of March 2012, the
> sole contributing author..."
>
> I can also think of a couple other entomological journals, one well known
> to some Taxacom members, and all sharing similar features. I agree with
> Paul that "peer review" is more like a hope that it leads to better quality
> work, once you accept it is applied by human beings with their particular
> weaknesses. A clear and specific definition of "valid publication" could be
> developed that at least minimizes the damage.
>
> Of course it could be misconstrued as limiting potential outlets, but in
> its current incarnation it allows anybody to start their own journal and
> happily publish away. They don´t even need to review their own papers, let
> alone have someone else check them out. And I think that everybody agrees
> that there is something inherently wrong about this. Maybe in another
> decade I won´t care.

Part of the issue is that, at any one time, this problem only affects a
relatively small number of taxa and thus taxonomists. In consequence,
the problem is not seen as a major priority, and thus a large part of
the taxonomic community do not wish to encumber themselves with any
further restrictions. That is understandable, but it does nothing for
those sections of the taxonomic community that have been bearing the
brunt of straight-out vandalism for decades. It is neither reasonable
nor fair for the unaffected majority to expect a minority to simply give
up a substantial part of the fruit of their labour for the convenience
of the majority.

I appreciate that there are no easy solutions that will suit everyone,
but please understand that for some sections of the taxonomic community,
the status quo with no prospect of change is not an appealing option
either, and nor is spending years building a LAN with instant built-in
obsolescence. If nothing  is done, then the result will be an erosion of
respect for the Code and its universal literal application. This is seen
in the wide support the Kaiser et al. paper received in herpetology. The
reason I posted the link to our paper is to stimulate discussion in the
knowledge that this *is* an issue of wider concern at least in
herpetology, as opposed to a personal issue between a small handful of
individuals.

Wolfgang

--
Dr. Wolfgang Wüster  -  Senior Lecturer
School of Biological Sciences    Bangor University
E-mail: w.wuster at bangor.ac.uk
http://pages.bangor.ac.uk/~bss166/

--
Rhif Elusen Gofrestredig / Registered Charity No. 1141565

Gall y neges e-bost hon, ac unrhyw atodiadau a anfonwyd gyda hi,
gynnwys deunydd cyfrinachol ac wedi eu bwriadu i'w defnyddio'n unig
gan y sawl y cawsant eu cyfeirio ato (atynt). Os ydych wedi derbyn y
neges e-bost hon trwy gamgymeriad, rhowch wybod i'r anfonwr ar
unwaith a dilëwch y neges. Os na fwriadwyd anfon y neges atoch chi,
rhaid i chi beidio â defnyddio, cadw neu ddatgelu unrhyw wybodaeth a
gynhwysir ynddi. Mae unrhyw farn neu safbwynt yn eiddo i'r sawl a'i
hanfonodd yn unig  ac nid yw o anghenraid yn cynrychioli barn
Prifysgol Bangor. Nid yw Prifysgol Bangor yn gwarantu
bod y neges e-bost hon neu unrhyw atodiadau yn rhydd rhag firysau neu
100% yn ddiogel. Oni bai fod hyn wedi ei ddatgan yn uniongyrchol yn
nhestun yr e-bost, nid bwriad y neges e-bost hon yw ffurfio contract
rhwymol - mae rhestr o lofnodwyr awdurdodedig ar gael o Swyddfa
Cyllid Prifysgol Bangor.  www.bangor.ac.uk

This email and any attachments may contain confidential material and
is solely for the use of the intended recipient(s).  If you have
received this email in error, please notify the sender immediately
and delete this email.  If you are not the intended recipient(s), you
must not use, retain or disclose any information contained in this
email.  Any views or opinions are solely those of the sender and do
not necessarily represent those of Bangor University.
Bangor University does not guarantee that this email or
any attachments are free from viruses or 100% secure.  Unless
expressly stated in the body of the text of the email, this email is
not intended to form a binding contract - a list of authorised
signatories is available from the Bangor University Finance
Office.  www.bangor.ac.uk