JF Mate aphodiinaemate at gmail.com
Wed May 15 15:56:00 CDT 2013

Cristian, the problem with your approach is that if the publication or
publications are code compliant, how can the ICZN suppress the names? Peer
pressure alone is not sufficient. Hence the suggestion on modifying what
constitutes a valid publication which I acknowledge can be, in part,
circumvented by those married and/or resourceful enough.

I understand that the logic behind the ICZN is to avoid overlegislating and
infringing on taxonomic judgement (or lack of) but I think that a tighter
definition of what constitutes a publication, which is after all the
vehicle of the taxonomic work, deserves the argument. And to avoid bigger
messes could it not be made non retroactive?

In any case, as it seems highly improbable that the definition of a
publication will be modified, I will instead suggest that we canonize
Sisyphus as the saint of taxonomy.

Jason