Dr Brian Taylor dr.brian.taylor at ntlworld.com
Wed May 15 16:16:39 CDT 2013

John Grehan's point about suppression is very appropriate. After all who
chooses the peer reviewers but (possibly/probably) their buddies?

In any case, taxonomy has the supreme option of synonymy to "suppress"
over-enthusiastic naming of new species.

Brian Taylor

On 15/05/2013 21:56, "JF Mate" <aphodiinaemate at gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
> infringing on taxonomic judgement (or lack of) but I think that a tighter
> definition of what constitutes a publication, which is after all the
> vehicle of the taxonomic work, deserves the argument. And to avoid bigger
> messes could it not be made non retroactive?
>
> In any case, as it seems highly improbable that the definition of a
> publication will be modified, I will instead suggest that we canonize
> Sisyphus as the saint of taxonomy.
>
> Jason
>

> On 15 May 2013 22:24, Cristian Ruiz Altaba <cruizaltaba at dgcc.caib.es> wrote:
>
>> A case that may bring some light.
>>
>> In a rather uninteresting place in eastern Iberia, an ornithologist
>> started building up a list of rare species he had recorded there. First it
>> was amazing to find rare migrants there. But the summit was reached when he
>> claimed there was a population of the critically endangered Crex crex. That
>> was too much. So people who had grown suspicious spoke out their concerns.
>> The Spanish Ornithological Society started (SEO) a process to clear out the
>> thuth. In the end, nobody coud find any proof in the field, so that
>> particular ornithologist and all of his records were unanimously set aside.
>> That does not mean anyone can record rare birds. Instead, it was a good way
>> of halting vandalism.
>>
>> If ICZN could work out a scheme similar to that of SEO, vandalism could be
>> treated in a case by case manner, with fairness but strength. Those
>> directly affected would have the opportunity to discuss the issue, for the
>> beneft of all taxonomsts. Perhaps opening a case to suppress all of the
>> names criticized by Kaiser et al.?
>>
>> Cristian
>>
>> *
>> *
>>

>> -----taxacom-bounces at mailman.nhm.ku.edu ha escrit: -----
>>
>> Per a: Taxacom <taxacom at mailman.nhm.ku.edu>
>> De: JF Mate <aphodiinaemate at gmail.com>
>> Enviat per: taxacom-bounces at mailman.nhm.ku.edu
>> Data: 15/05/2013 22:05
>> Assumpte: Re: [Taxacom] Paper on taxonomic standards in herpetology
>>

>> True, but they would have to be married in the first place :). Still, all
>> laws can be bent if you try hard enough including the ones in my copy of
>> the ICZN. And yet here it is, a set of rules which have been enacted in the
>> hope that most people will follow them (more or less). Unless of course
>> this is the last copy because we are giving up altogether and going back to
>> the 19th century. If so I am selling names ;).
>>
>> Jason
>>

>> On 15 May 2013 21:54, <Frank.Krell at dmns.org> wrote:
>>
>>> Well, then, transfer the ownership of that journal to your wife.
>>> If somebody wants to publish things, he or she will find ways,
>> independent
>>> of how tough the regulations are.
>>>
>>> Frank
>>>

>>> Dr. Frank-T. Krell
>>> Curator of Entomology
>>> Commissioner, International Commission on Zoological Nomenclature
>>> Phone: (+1) (303) 370-8244
>>> Fax: (+1) (303) 331-6492