Wolfgang Wuster w.wuster at bangor.ac.uk
Wed May 15 17:03:18 CDT 2013

On 15/05/2013 22:45, Stephen Thorpe wrote:
> But Wolfgang, can't you see that there is no solution here. Your
> veiled threats to promote the disregard of the Code amongst the
> herpetological community would just alienate that community from the
> rest of the taxonomic community, and their non Code compliant
> nomenclature (and associated taxonomy) would then be ignored by
> aggregators who are trying to make Code compliant databases of world
> biota, and possibly rejected by editors of taxonomic journals that are
> wider in scope than just herps. In effect, the herp community would
> become a taxonomic vandal to be ignored, and so the problem grows ...

So what solution do you propose? All we ever hear when the issue of
vandalism is raised is "grin and bear it" or "we have always done it
like that". Can you not see that that is simply not good enough? The
latter of these arguments has been used throughout history to justify
oppression and failure to reform, and the former sounds rather like the
attitude of right-wing religious zealots towards rape victims ("grin and
bear the rape, but you must keep the name"). Nobody in herpetology wants
to ditch the Code, but there comes a point where we need to look for
ways of defending our vital interests. That's not a veiled threat, it's
an observation.

Moreover, I think it would be in the interests of the whole of taxonomy
to pay more attention to these goings-on. How do you think the outside
world will view a science whose public face, in the shape of names for
high-profile taxa, is dominated by the kinds of excesses we have been
seeing and discussing here?

--
Dr. Wolfgang Wüster  -  Senior Lecturer
School of Biological Sciences    Bangor University
E-mail: w.wuster at bangor.ac.uk
http://pages.bangor.ac.uk/~bss166/

--
Rhif Elusen Gofrestredig / Registered Charity No. 1141565

Gall y neges e-bost hon, ac unrhyw atodiadau a anfonwyd gyda hi,
gynnwys deunydd cyfrinachol ac wedi eu bwriadu i'w defnyddio'n unig
gan y sawl y cawsant eu cyfeirio ato (atynt). Os ydych wedi derbyn y
neges e-bost hon trwy gamgymeriad, rhowch wybod i'r anfonwr ar
unwaith a dilëwch y neges. Os na fwriadwyd anfon y neges atoch chi,
rhaid i chi beidio â defnyddio, cadw neu ddatgelu unrhyw wybodaeth a
gynhwysir ynddi. Mae unrhyw farn neu safbwynt yn eiddo i'r sawl a'i
hanfonodd yn unig  ac nid yw o anghenraid yn cynrychioli barn
Prifysgol Bangor. Nid yw Prifysgol Bangor yn gwarantu
bod y neges e-bost hon neu unrhyw atodiadau yn rhydd rhag firysau neu
100% yn ddiogel. Oni bai fod hyn wedi ei ddatgan yn uniongyrchol yn
nhestun yr e-bost, nid bwriad y neges e-bost hon yw ffurfio contract
rhwymol - mae rhestr o lofnodwyr awdurdodedig ar gael o Swyddfa
Cyllid Prifysgol Bangor.  www.bangor.ac.uk

This email and any attachments may contain confidential material and
is solely for the use of the intended recipient(s).  If you have
received this email in error, please notify the sender immediately
and delete this email.  If you are not the intended recipient(s), you
must not use, retain or disclose any information contained in this
email.  Any views or opinions are solely those of the sender and do
not necessarily represent those of Bangor University.
Bangor University does not guarantee that this email or
any attachments are free from viruses or 100% secure.  Unless
expressly stated in the body of the text of the email, this email is
not intended to form a binding contract - a list of authorised
signatories is available from the Bangor University Finance
Office.  www.bangor.ac.uk