Doug Yanega dyanega at ucr.edu
Wed May 15 17:04:54 CDT 2013

On 5/15/13 12:48 PM, JF Mate wrote:
> "To close this supposed loophole you would have to totally redefine the
> criteria constituting a published work (ie. Article 8), especially if you
> would restrict all nomenclatorial acts to peer reviewed journals only."
>
> It seems that the issue is limited to section 8.1, as to what constitutes a
> valid work. Adding additional limitations to the effect of avoiding
> flagrant conflict of interests (i.e. you canĀ“t own the journal, be the
> editor and publish in it simultaneously) should be possible without
> impinging too much on the varied offer of publication outlets that we
> currently have.
There are a number of possible solutions; to be taken seriously, each
has to be evaluated for a number of criteria - (off the top of my head)
How easy is it to implement? How easy is it to identify infractions? How
easy would it be to circumnavigate? How objective is it?  How easy would
it be to apply retroactively? etc.

In this framework, any proposal to define the *kind* of publication
venue that is or is not Code-compliant is going to fail the test. The
criterion above is trivial to circumnavigate, as is any proposal to use
peer-review (witness Calodema). If one wishes to completely exclude all
variants of self-publishing, the most conventional method one could use
is to establish a formal "white list" of approved journals, which would
even EXCLUDE peer-reviewed journals that did not meet some subjective
level of quality - but, even that approach fails the tests of
objectivity and implementation.

Myself, I see two primary approaches as having potential, depending on
how much the community wants to delegate responsibility. We could, in
the next Code edition, expand and incorporate the "Code of Ethics"
recommendations presently in the Code, formalizing them as Articles and
making it explicit that names published in contravention of the Ethical
rules are subject to suppression. Then, in addition to the present body
of applications the Commission receives to vote on, we would also be
voting on whether or not to suppress names for which the arguments are
convincing that the author(s) acted unethically. This delegates
responsibility to taxonomists who are motivated to cry foul, and to the
Commissioners who would then have to evaluate the claims and make a
ruling. In the present case, Kaiser et al. would be able to submit an
application to summarily suppress all of Hoser's works, presenting
relevant evidence, and have the Commission vote on it, citing violation
of the new "ethics" Articles. The problem is that this potentially drags
the Commission into matters of taxonomic opinion; the question is
whether we can phrase the ethical guidelines in such a way that they
address negative impact on *nomenclature*. While I agree with Neal about
the effective "separation of powers," I also see that there are places
where the overlap is enough to justify a change - e.g., if an author
post-2000 defines a taxon using a type specimen which they never
personally examined, or diagnoses a taxon as occupying a certain node on
a cladogram, etc., then things like that *predictably and demonstrably*
threaten nomenclatural stability, even though not presently in violation
of the Code. We could potentially make such things violations in the
next Code, if we take a broader view regarding impacts upon
nomenclature. One thing Kaiser et al. do make clear is that nomenclature
is suffering, and continuing to turn a blind eye to it is not ultimately
doing nomenclature any favors.

The other alternative is to overhaul the present LAN mechanism, so
individual names or works can be added or subtracted from the Official
Lists in a timely fashion, rather than requiring the entirety of a
single taxonomic discipline to be covered in a single massive act that
takes years to compile, to debate, and then vote on. However, the only
way this fine level of detail would be practical is if there were an
online interface which allowed for real-time debate and used verifiable
IDs to allow for a democratized voting process; a taxonomic social
medium. That is, the Commission cannot be expected to vote one by one
for every name or work ever published (which is the ultimate endpoint
for the Official Lists), but the *community* could, if given the right
interface. In the present case, Kaiser et al. would submit a proposal
for a public vote (by registered users) as to whether Hoser's works
should be suppressed, and the votes would be visible and non-anonymous;
a minimum number of votes would need to be cast, and a specific
threshold of a majority would be required. This sort of mechanism would
potentially dovetail with the ongoing development of ZooBank, which
already requires unique, non-anonymous registration AND has ethical
guidelines in place, violation of which can cost users their privileges.

It is my personal opinion (and, admittedly, perhaps ONLY my opinion)
that if we can democratize the Code without sacrificing the underlying
principles ("sense and stability") it's a good thing, if for no other
reason than a more personal level of involvement - on the part of each
individual taxonomist - will *strengthen* people's desire to understand
and apply the Code, rather than weakening it. All of the technical
hurdles that one can think of have long since been passed; I'm not even
convinced that we need to have a hard-bound edition of the Code ever
again. As such, I personally favor the latter approach; any time an
issue arises, air it out in public, and let the taxonomic community make
the call. The Commission would still guide and advise and clarify, but
at least certain types of issues would be acted upon in the collective
environment (and once a name is on a LAN, it is set in stone, so the
potential cleanup work left would be diminished, ratchet-like, with
every such addition). If we can have a rational and civil discourse, in
which the bulk of the taxonomic community takes an active interest, I
think we can do significantly better than the status quo, for a number
of issues facing us - beyond just the present topic of taxonomic vandalism.

Sincerely,