Stephen Thorpe stephen_thorpe at yahoo.co.nz
Wed May 15 17:14:14 CDT 2013

It is impossible to solve the problem. I would be more inclined to agree with you and call for a total ban against some people, like Hoser, except that the problem isn't as simple as that. There is no clear dichotomy between good and bad taxonomy. It is a continuum. I have seen too many "scientists" from "reputable" institutions publishing rubbish in "reputable" journals, and getting their mates/colleagues to pass it through peer review. The only possible solution, though it probably runs too much counter to current "trends", is to simply consider authorship of names as a mere technicality, with no significant merit to the namer. That way, Hoser can continue wasting his life on mere technicalities if he so wishes, but there would be little motivation for him to do so, and no real harm to anyone else. If he creates a new genus for every species of herp, then the names of any subsequently recognised new genera (based on described species) will likely bear
 his name as author OF THE NAME, but this is just a mere technicality, of no consequence ...

Stephen