Stephen Thorpe stephen_thorpe at yahoo.co.nz
Wed May 15 18:01:10 CDT 2013

Well, it could be argued that Hoser's present indulgences disqualify him from being taken seriously in future, should his work improve (unlikely enough), but you read too much into my words ... I was leaving that open ...

At any rate, the problem remains in defining "community", "peer", etc. Ultimately it comes down to inclusion/exclusion of people, chosen by other people. There is nothing to stop Hoser creating a community of peers, who review his work, but he will choose like-minded individuals for the community. On the other hand, hard-nosed professional types whoo are only in it for the $$$ will choose their own too! I suggest that nobody has the right to decide who is in and who is out ...

Stephen