Wolfgang Wuster w.wuster at bangor.ac.uk
Thu May 16 00:21:45 CDT 2013

On 16/05/2013 00:01, Stephen Thorpe wrote:
> Well, it could be argued that Hoser's present indulgences disqualify
> him from being taken seriously in future, should his work improve
> (unlikely enough), but you read too much into my words ... I was
> leaving that open ...
> At any rate, the problem remains in defining "community", "peer", etc.
> Ultimately it comes down to inclusion/exclusion of people, chosen by
> other people. There is nothing to stop Hoser creating a community of
> peers, who review his work, but he will choose like-minded individuals
> for the community. On the other hand, hard-nosed professional types
> whoo are only in it for the $$$ will choose their own too! I suggest
> that nobody has the right to decide who is in and who is out ...

Hard-nosed professional types who are only in it for the $$$ tend not to
be taxonomists!

However, you are right, it's not about choosing *who* is in or out, it
is about choosing *what names* are in or out.

And lastly: it is always easy to find a problem for every solution.
Granted, there will be problems, whatever we do. However, let's remember
that all that a new  solution has to achieve is to be better than the
status quo. From the point of view of herpetological systematics, that's
not very hard.

--
Dr. Wolfgang Wüster  -  Senior Lecturer
School of Biological Sciences    Bangor University
E-mail: w.wuster at bangor.ac.uk
http://pages.bangor.ac.uk/~bss166/

--
Rhif Elusen Gofrestredig / Registered Charity No. 1141565

Gall y neges e-bost hon, ac unrhyw atodiadau a anfonwyd gyda hi,
gynnwys deunydd cyfrinachol ac wedi eu bwriadu i'w defnyddio'n unig
gan y sawl y cawsant eu cyfeirio ato (atynt). Os ydych wedi derbyn y
neges e-bost hon trwy gamgymeriad, rhowch wybod i'r anfonwr ar
unwaith a dilëwch y neges. Os na fwriadwyd anfon y neges atoch chi,
rhaid i chi beidio â defnyddio, cadw neu ddatgelu unrhyw wybodaeth a
gynhwysir ynddi. Mae unrhyw farn neu safbwynt yn eiddo i'r sawl a'i
hanfonodd yn unig  ac nid yw o anghenraid yn cynrychioli barn
Prifysgol Bangor. Nid yw Prifysgol Bangor yn gwarantu
bod y neges e-bost hon neu unrhyw atodiadau yn rhydd rhag firysau neu
100% yn ddiogel. Oni bai fod hyn wedi ei ddatgan yn uniongyrchol yn
nhestun yr e-bost, nid bwriad y neges e-bost hon yw ffurfio contract
rhwymol - mae rhestr o lofnodwyr awdurdodedig ar gael o Swyddfa
Cyllid Prifysgol Bangor.  www.bangor.ac.uk

This email and any attachments may contain confidential material and
is solely for the use of the intended recipient(s).  If you have
received this email in error, please notify the sender immediately
and delete this email.  If you are not the intended recipient(s), you
must not use, retain or disclose any information contained in this
email.  Any views or opinions are solely those of the sender and do
not necessarily represent those of Bangor University.
Bangor University does not guarantee that this email or
any attachments are free from viruses or 100% secure.  Unless
expressly stated in the body of the text of the email, this email is
not intended to form a binding contract - a list of authorised
signatories is available from the Bangor University Finance
Office.  www.bangor.ac.uk