[Taxacom] Environmental 'Omics Synthesis Conference

Daniel Barker db60 at st-andrews.ac.uk
Thu May 16 05:08:16 CDT 2013

Dear Neal, Karl and Taxacom,

I would like to reassure you that the First International Environmental
'Omics Synthesis Conference (Cardiff, 9-11 September) is genuine. It has
nothing to do with The Omics Group.

The First International Environmental 'Omics Synthesis Conference receives
funding from various sources, including the Natural Environment Research
Council, UK (NERC) and the Science and Technologies Facilities Council, UK
(STFC); and is coordinated by the NERC Environmental 'Omics Synthesis
Centre (EOS).

These points can be checked by online searches. The following links may be
helpful:
http://www.nerc.ac.uk/research/programmes/omics/management.asp (NERC)
http://www.stfc.ac.uk/1461.aspx (SFTC; see "Network C: Bioinformatics &
Environmental 'Omics Network")
http://environmentalomics.org (EOS)

If you have any questions about the First International Environmental
'Omics Synthesis Conference, you are welcome to approach myself or another
member of the Organising Committee directly. The committee is as follows -

Dr Peter Kille, University of Cardiff: kille at cardiff.ac.uk ;
Dr Mesude Bicak, Centre for Ecology & Hydrology: mbicak at ceh.ac.uk ;
Dr Tracey Timms-Wilson, Centre for Ecology & Hydrology: tmt at ceh.ac.uk ;
Dr Daniel Barker, University of St Andrews: db60 at st-andrews.ac.uk ;
Dr Claire Gachon, Scottish Association for Marine Science (SAMS):
Claire.Gachon at sams.ac.uk ; and
Professor Mark Viant, University of Birmingham: m.viant at bham.ac.uk

The word 'omics refers to technologies - e.g. genomics, transcriptomics,
metabolomics - used in biology, and united in the sense of being
"high-througput", and in a sense relatively "complete". Instead of one
gene, one obtains "the whole genome"; instead of one transcript, one
studies "the whole transcriptome"; and so on.

'Omics will be of interest to many Taxacom subscribers, for example as
alternatives to traditional marker development, for phylogenetics, and for
studies of adaptation and evolutionary mechanisms.

Finally, here is the announcement of our conference again, with additional
detail:

* * * *

FIRST INTERNATIONAL ENVIRONMENTAL 'OMICS SYNTHESIS CONFERENCE

Cardiff University, UK, 9-11 September 2013

http://www.environmentalomics.org/ieos2013

CALL FOR ABSTRACTS

We are pleased to announce the first ever conference on 'omics
applications, tools and resources, focused on the environmental sciences.

The meeting covers genomics, metabolomics and other high-throughput
approaches in biology ('omics). The meeting is targeted both at current
and future users of 'omics, and for developers of bioinformatics and
'omics technologies. This includes dedicated introductory talks and
training sessions on day one, for those who are new to the field, followed
by two days of world-class science presentations delivered by several
international leaders in environmental 'omics. The conference will promote
exchange of ideas between all of these groups.

We encourage submission of abstracts to be considered for oral and poster
presentation, and in particular encourage submissions from PhD students
and postdoctoral researchers.

To register - with optional submission of an abstract - see:

http://environmentalomics.org/ieos_registration

ABSTRACT DEADLINE: 1 July 2013
REGISTRATION DEADLINE: 1 August 2013

CONFIRMED KEYNOTE SPEAKERS:
Professor Eske Willerslev, Natural History Museum of Denmark
Professor Jack Gilbert, University of Chicago
Professor John Colbourne, University of Birmingham
For biographies see: http://environmentalomics.org/ieos_speakers

CONFIRMED INVITED SPEAKERS:
Professor Terry Brown, University of Manchester; Professor Robin Allaby,
University of Warwick (session: Leaning from the past to inform the future)
Dr Andrew Whitehead, University of California, Davis (session: Ecological
'Omics: from workflows to adaptation)
Professor Kevin Chipman, University of Birmingham (session: Epigenetics)
Dr Joe Shaw, Indiana University (session: Integrated and systems 'Omics)

DRAFT PROGRAM: http://environmentalomics.org/ieos_agenda

SPONSORED in part by the Natural Environment Research Council, UK (NERC);
the Science and Technology Facilities Council, UK; Thermo Fisher
Scientific; and BGI.

This conference is coordinated by the NERC Environmental 'Omics Synthesis
Centre: http://environmentalomics.org

On behalf of the organising committee
(http://environmentalomics.org/ieos_committe),

Dr Daniel Barker
Organising Committee, First International Environmental 'Omics Synthesis
Conference; and
Lecturer in Biology, University of St Andrews, UK

* * * *

--
Daniel Barker
http://biology.st-andrews.ac.uk/staff/db60