[Taxacom] Impact of natural history collections

Roderic Page r.page at bio.gla.ac.uk
Thu May 16 11:58:57 CDT 2013

I've written a short blog post (http://iphylo.blogspot.co.uk/2013/05/the-impact-of-museum-collections-one.html ) on measuring the value of natural history collections, and briefly discuss a neat little note in Nature that I hadn't seen:

Winker, K., & Withrow, J. J. (2013). Natural history: Small collections make a big impact. Nature, 493(7433), 480–480. http://dx.doi.org/10.1038/493480b

It's behind a paywall, but the main point is "We created a Google Scholar publication profile for the University of Alaska Museum bird collection (UAM Birds). The publications that it has supported are diverse and well cited, with an h-index equivalent to an average Nobel laureate in physics (following Hirsch’s analysis in creating this index; PNAS 102:16569-16572). This level of impact should encourage more institutions to rediscover and reinvest in collections as important scientific infrastructure and societal resources." (see http://www.kevinwinker.org/Creation%20of%20UAM%20Birds%20Google%20Scholar%20profile.pdf for details on how this figure was computed).

So, one collection = one Nobel Prize winner in Physics.

Regards

Rod

Roderic Page
Professor of Taxonomy