[Taxacom] Homo sapiens neanderthalensis

Curtis Clark lists at curtisclark.org
Fri May 17 20:54:57 CDT 2013

On 2013-05-17 4:15 PM, Ken Kinman wrote:
>      Well, "hybridized out of existence" could be one of the factors
> involved (many of the molecularists involved use phrases like "genetic
> swamping").  Of course, another major factor was probably warfare
> (competition for shelter and food, fear, or males angry when their
> females got kidnapped).  Climate change has also been suggested for
> certain regions.  In any case, interbreeding can no longer be ignored
> as a major factor, and thus the subspecies vs. species debate needs to
> be reexamined.

Well, there's always evidence. I've not researched this in detail in the
primary literature, but the population levels of modern humans and
neanderthals over time, the paucity of clear hybrids, and the relatively
minor contribution of neanderthal genes in modern humans together argue
against "hybridized out of existence" or genetic swamping. Ecological
competition seems to be the null hypothesis to be falsified here.

--
Curtis Clark        http://www.csupomona.edu/~jcclark
Biological Sciences                   +1 909 869 4140