[Taxacom] Type specimen

Stephen Thorpe stephen_thorpe at yahoo.co.nz
Sat May 18 01:00:29 CDT 2013

Again, I can only repeat the Code verbatim:  72.4.1. The type series of a nominal species-group taxon consists of all the specimens included by the author in the new nominal taxon (whether directly or by bibliographic reference), except any that the author expressly excludes from the type series [Art. 72.4.6], *or refers to as distinct variants (e.g. by name, letter or number)*, or doubtfully attributes to the taxon.

The bit between * * is the relevant bit...
Note that, contra ICZN link (http://iczn.org/content/who-type-homo-sapiens), it is irrelevant if the races to which Linnaeus assigned all humans are subspecific, infrasubspecific, available, unavailable, etc. Even letters or numbers will do, according to 72.4.1.

The situation is perfectly clear. There is neither the need nor the possibility of a type specimen for Homo sapiens. In fact, most Linnaean names lack (extant) types ...

Cheers,

Stephen