[Taxacom] Type specimen

Adam Cotton adamcot at cscoms.com
Sat May 18 11:45:35 CDT 2013

----- Original Message -----
From: "John Grehan" <calabar.john at gmail.com>
To: "Francisco Welter-Schultes" <fwelter at gwdg.de>
Cc: "taxacom" <taxacom at mailman.nhm.ku.edu>
Sent: Saturday, May 18, 2013 11:20 PM
Subject: Re: [Taxacom] Type specimen

Interesting! I will have to dig into my files for where I developed a
different impression. Accessibility to other researchers would seem to be a
prime requisite because without such access types no longer operate or
exist as scientific objects.

John Grehan

This provision in the Code is only a recommendation rather than a binding
article. Types are recommended to be deposited in institutional
repositories, but there is no requirement that this should be the case.

It is only in the current Code that there is a requirement (article 16.4.1)
for types to be designated, whether syntypes or a holotype and paratypes,
and (article 16.4.2) "where the holotype or syntypes are extant specimens,
by a statement of intent that they will be (or are) deposited in a
collection and a statement indicating the name and location of that
collection", but this can actually be any collection, private or public.

Recommendation 16C states:
"Recognizing that name -bearing types are international standards of
reference (see Article 72.10) authors should deposit type specimens in an
institution that maintains a research collection, with proper facilities for
preserving them
and making them accessible for study (i.e. one which meets the criteria in
Recommendation 72F)."

As you can see there is no mandatory clause stating that types MUST be
placed in scientifically accessible collections.

Adam.