[Taxacom] Type specimen

Thomas Pape TPape at snm.ku.dk
Sat May 18 17:15:45 CDT 2013

The Code characterises "type series" at three different places:

ARTICLE 72.1.1.
type series: all the specimens on which the author established a nominal
species-group taxon

ARTICLE 72.4.1.
The type series of a nominal species-group taxon consists of all the
specimens included by the author in the new nominal taxon

GLOSSARY:
type series, n.
The series of specimens, defined in Articles 72.4 and 73.2, on which the
original author bases a new nominal species-group taxon.

NOTE that the GLOSSARY restricts the definition of type series to
Articles 72.4 and 73.2, and we know from Article 89.1. that "the meaning
attributed in the Glossary to a word or expression is to be taken as its
meaning for the purposes of the Code". This means that we should not be
using the wording of Article 72.1.1 in direct arguments about what is
the type series.

Article 72.4.1 requires that the specimens forming the type series are
included "directly or by bibliographic reference". The issue then is
what is meant by specimens being included "directly" in a new nominal
species. It seems reasonable to me that of the cats Linnaeus may have
seen prior to 1758 not all would qualify as having been included
"directly" in his concept of the nominal species Felis catus. But
certainly some, perhaps even several, and probably more than those which
he decided to keep in his collection. As Francisco mentioned, it may be
difficult to "draw the line to exclude some and include others", which
is exactly why the 4th editin of the Code now requires that for nominal
species-group taxa established after 1999, "only those specimens
expressly indicated by the author to be those upon which the new taxon
was based are fixed as syntypes".

/Thomas