[Taxacom] Mixed roots

Peter Hovenkamp phovenkamp at casema.nl
Sun May 19 14:07:02 CDT 2013

The botanical code couldn't care less: "The name of a genus is a noun in
the nominative singular, or a word treated as such, and is written with
an initial capital letter. It may be taken from any source whatever, and
may even be composed in an absolutely arbitrary manner, but it must not
end in /-virus/."
(note how simply "arbitrary" is not enough to express the (absolutely)
agnostic stance of the code: it's "absolutely arbitrary")

We have the same liberty in forming species epithets:
" The epithet in the name of a species may be taken from any source
whatever, and may even be composed arbitrarily". (but not "absolutely
arbitrary", here. Not that it bothers us...)

Best,

Peter Hovenkamp