[Taxacom] Type specimen

Francisco Welter-Schultes fwelter at gwdg.de
Mon May 20 15:57:48 CDT 2013

> A similar problem was created by Rafinesque, who managed to assign all
> included species in Obliquaria to various subgenera other than the nominal
> subgenus of .  He did later assign some species to the nominal subgenus;
> these do not correspond to current use of the genus.

Should be no problem because the rulings in genus-group names are
different (Art. 67.2.5. does not give equivalent restrictions as in
species-group types). All species belonging to the subgenera also belonged
to the genus. Any of those species could be selected as the type species.
In this case it seems that Obliquaria (Quadrula) reflexa Rafinesque, 1820
was later selected (as suggested by Haas 1969 [in Moore, ed.], Treatise on
Invertebrate Paleontology, N1: 455) as type species of Obliquaria.
I have not personally verified the original source, but would be thankful
if someone knew an online version (Annales Générales des Sciences
Physiques 5:  301).

Francisco