[Taxacom] Type specimen

Stephen Thorpe stephen_thorpe at yahoo.co.nz
Mon May 20 17:39:00 CDT 2013

OK, finally Francisco has explained his argument clearly enough to understand it! Or at least one line of it, as there appear to be two interwoven strands. This line of argument effectively says that Linnaeus *didn't* partition Homo sapiens into named variants, it left some material unassigned - material which therefore is eligible to be type material for the nominal species. Specifically, this line of argument seems to claim that although Linnaeus was himself from Europe, he is not to be understood as a member of Homo sapiens europaeus, according to Linnaeus' classification, because he does not agree with the morphological description. Rather, Linnaeus was a "typical" Homo sapiens, living in Europe, within the range of H. sapiens europaeus! So, it is argued, Linnaeus himself is eligible for lectotype designation.

Sorry, I don't buy it! If we actually look at the original description of Homo sapiens (and the genus Homo), it has the following structure:

Homo new genus

1. Homo sapiens new species [diurnally active, refers to mankind]

1.0.? named variety ferus? [if not intended to be a named variety, then perhaps Linnaeus intended the name Homo sapiens only to refer to humans "living wild", in which case he would have excluded himself from the nominal species??!!]

1.1. named variety americanus

1.2. named variety europaeus

1.3. named variety asiaticus

1.4 named variety afer

1.5 named variety monstrosus

2. Homo troglodytes new species [a nocturnal ape, possibly referring to the orangutan?]

My only conclusion is that trying to "shoe horn" this complexity into a post-Linnean Code governed system of nomenclature is pointless! It is trying to force square pegs through round holes! However, there is no problem, since the name Homo sapiens is universally agreed upon to refer to one particular species. We should just continue to use the name for our species and ignore the above complexity. The Code cannot be applied to this case, because it is a classic example of a problem case, which is just too vague and unclear to make any real sense of. There is no need for a type specimen of type series, so we should not be forcing post hoc interpretations of Linnaeus to try to allow for the possibility of types under the Code. Only the Commission could designate a type for Homo sapiens, under its plenary powers, but there is no need to do so...

Cheers,

Stephen