Wolfgang Wuster w.wuster at bangor.ac.uk
Tue May 21 14:08:53 CDT 2013

On 21/05/2013 17:53, Scott Monks wrote:
> As a "devout" atheist I certainly am appalled by the seemingly world-wide rise of that general viewpoint, but I find equating a "squabble" about approaches that is between taxonomists/systematists to rape to be a deplorable approach!

I am sorry if my use of that term caused offence. However, in its sense
of "to plunder, to destroy or despoil", the term does seem fitting in a
situation where a discipline has been subjected to seeing 76% of new
genus-group names and 16% of all new species-group names of one major
taxon in the 21st century proposed speculatively by one worker with the
intention of using the Principle of Priority to force these upon
subsequent authors if they happen to be the oldest names available for a
newly identified taxon. As I have tried to clarify before, this is not
about different approaches or a few instances of bad taxonomy, however
defined, but about a major problem for herpetological taxonomy. The
widespread view here, that herpetology's problems are nobody else's
problems, brought on the rest of the analogy.

Moreover, I must respectfully disagree with the suggestion that we
should simply accept the current situation as immutable. The problems we
are grappling with here are acknowledged by all to be age-old and to
have affected a wide variety of taxa. However, it appears that we are
not only condemned to clean up the mess for all eternity, but moreover,
we are expected to not even *aspire* to find a better solution. The
dismissal or lack of willingness to even consider or discuss Doug
Yanega's innovative ideas, which could potentially lead to a genuine
democratization of the nomenclatural process, is another facet of that
outlook. Is this really the best we should seek to do? The case that
there is no better solution would seem much more credible if other
possibilities were given *serious* consideration, taking into account
technological innovation that could help contribute to an open,
accountable and sensible regulation of nomenclature. It seems
unfortunate that the regular occurrence of problems of this nature does
not stimulate a more constructive search for possible solutions.

Thanks for reading.

Wolfgang

--
Dr. Wolfgang Wüster  -  Senior Lecturer
School of Biological Sciences    Bangor University
E-mail: w.wuster at bangor.ac.uk
http://pages.bangor.ac.uk/~bss166/

--
Rhif Elusen Gofrestredig / Registered Charity No. 1141565

Gall y neges e-bost hon, ac unrhyw atodiadau a anfonwyd gyda hi,
gynnwys deunydd cyfrinachol ac wedi eu bwriadu i'w defnyddio'n unig
gan y sawl y cawsant eu cyfeirio ato (atynt). Os ydych wedi derbyn y
neges e-bost hon trwy gamgymeriad, rhowch wybod i'r anfonwr ar
unwaith a dilëwch y neges. Os na fwriadwyd anfon y neges atoch chi,
rhaid i chi beidio â defnyddio, cadw neu ddatgelu unrhyw wybodaeth a
gynhwysir ynddi. Mae unrhyw farn neu safbwynt yn eiddo i'r sawl a'i
hanfonodd yn unig  ac nid yw o anghenraid yn cynrychioli barn
Prifysgol Bangor. Nid yw Prifysgol Bangor yn gwarantu
bod y neges e-bost hon neu unrhyw atodiadau yn rhydd rhag firysau neu
100% yn ddiogel. Oni bai fod hyn wedi ei ddatgan yn uniongyrchol yn
nhestun yr e-bost, nid bwriad y neges e-bost hon yw ffurfio contract
rhwymol - mae rhestr o lofnodwyr awdurdodedig ar gael o Swyddfa
Cyllid Prifysgol Bangor.  www.bangor.ac.uk

This email and any attachments may contain confidential material and
is solely for the use of the intended recipient(s).  If you have
received this email in error, please notify the sender immediately
and delete this email.  If you are not the intended recipient(s), you
must not use, retain or disclose any information contained in this
email.  Any views or opinions are solely those of the sender and do
not necessarily represent those of Bangor University.
Bangor University does not guarantee that this email or
any attachments are free from viruses or 100% secure.  Unless
expressly stated in the body of the text of the email, this email is
not intended to form a binding contract - a list of authorised
signatories is available from the Bangor University Finance
Office.  www.bangor.ac.uk