[Taxacom] Journals and paywalls and the zoological code - Wuster's false claims...

Raymond Hoser Snakeman Snakebusters Reptile Parties viper007 at live.com.au
Tue May 21 21:13:55 CDT 2013

What’s the view on pay walls???

It is sad and shows a paucity of evidence, when the only substantive criticism
of the papers of Hoser and Wells by Herr Wuster is where they are published and
who by, as opposed to anything specifically wrong about the content.

I also note that it is potentially a technical offence
against the ICZN’s own rules and recommendations to publish material behind any
form of paywall or other restricted access and for authors and journal
publishers to “sell” their papers behind paywalls.

In my case and I am sure Mr Richard Wells, I take the
Zoological Code seriously and this includes code compliance and that is why I
control the publication of my recent taxonomy papers.

They are “widely disseminated” as called for by the code and
without the use of paywalls and the like to restrict readership and wide dissemination,
which I ensure as the publisher and in control!

It is ironic that the very journal editors and authors
complaining about our papers are the ones potentially violating the code of
Zoology by publishing in places that they exercise despotic editorial control,
that lack credible peer review and breach the important rule of “wide
dissemination” by “selling” descriptions to interested parties at heavily
inflated prices, perhaps making their own taxonomic and nomenclatural acts potentially
unavailable under the code either immediately or by later application to the
commission.

Now please don’t get the idea I am advocating a
mass-boycotting of nomenclature Wuster style in the preceding paragraph, but
rather that I advance a Wuster style excuse to engage in such an act for
argument’s sake here only (on this forum).

However my underlying point is valid regarding pay walls and
I’d like to know the views of the others here.

My view and that which I am getting to, is that perhaps the
code should be amended to enforce a rule (for this day and age), that all
publications post dating (now) the present time (defined by code), must be made
freely available as pdf or equivalent without fee or paywall of any form to be
code compliant.

What do the rest here think?

All the best

Snakebustersâ - Australia's best reptilesâ

The only hands-on reptilesâ shows that lets people hold the animalsâ.

Reptile partiesâ, events, courses
Phones: 9812 3322

0412 777 211