Doug Yanega dyanega at ucr.edu
Tue May 21 23:52:47 CDT 2013

This ongoing "debate" is really starting to wear thin, and I feel
compelled to make my feelings on the matter as clear as I possibly can;
though I certainly can't claim to speak for other Commissioners (in
fact, I know that there are some who will strongly disagree with me),
maybe my perspective can help others to think a little more carefully
about the central issues.

First off, all of us must acknowledge that the Code is an evolving, and
historical, effort that derives ALL of its authority from the voluntary
acquiescence of the members of the scientific community. While it is
true that very few people have ever directly contributed to writing the
Code, it has been (and continues to be) written with the sincere hope
that it will accurately reflect the interests of the larger community,
and - importantly - so long as what the Code says and what the community
wants are in accordance, the members of the community will continue to
uphold and comply with the rules the Code sets forth. When the desires
of the community begin to diverge from the Code, however, this leads
people to question the Code - to question whether it benefits them to
continue to comply with it. My personal feeling is that while the Code
should not become a proverbial "political football", subject to the
wishes of factions competing for influence, it also cannot be completely
unresponsive when very large portions of the community are dissatisfied
- that leads to alienation, and non-compliance. The recent amendment
allowing for the publication of nomenclatural acts in digital media was
not easily achieved - it took a long time, much debate, and much
fine-tuning to get it implemented - but the Code WAS changed, in
response to the desires of the community. How explicit was the community
in expressing that desire? How many actual practicing taxonomists wrote
letters urging the Commission to act on this? Well, frankly, it wasn't
anything near a unanimous statement, but here's the point that needs to
be made: even if the actual number of vocal individuals pushing for
change is only a fraction of the larger community, when the argument
being put forth clearly and convincingly promises to benefit the entire
community, and when any reasonable person can see that the non-vocal
part of the community is likely to support it, then the Commission will
take the argument seriously.

This brings me back to the issue at hand. Several people have quite
correctly pointed out that the Code has always taken a neutral stance on
taxonomic judgment, and that this is a fundamental principle:

"The Code refrains from infringing upon taxonomic judgement, which must not be made subject to regulation or constraint."

This assumes that any issues the community may have regarding the
quality of science behind a given work, or the ethics of the author(s),
etc., are something that the community is perfectly capable of handling
on its own, without requiring the Code to back up their actions. The
recent paper by Kaiser et al. was, in that sense, an attempt by the
taxonomic community to take an action of precisely the sort that the
Code could not help them achieve; a constraint upon taxonomic judgment.
The response was quite predictable (if one ignores all the
name-calling): basically, invoking the Code-compliance of the acts in
question as a means of defense. It's too late for that, though -
obviously, if Kaiser and the others are taking the matter up outside of
the Code's jurisdiction, then any DEFENSE has to be outside of the
Code's jurisdiction, as well. The Code cannot force the taxonomic
community to recognize anyone's works, or use anyone's names, if it is
against the will of the community, just like the Code cannot force
anyone to REJECT something that people refuse to reject. That is the
status quo.

That being said, however, the issue is not so black-and-white, because
of the larger context I spoke of earlier (the need for the Code and the
community to be in accord in order for the Code to have authority), and
because the Code ALSO has the mandate to promote stability in
nomenclature. Having witnessed a variety of events, debates, and
diatribes centered around "taxonomic vandalism" over many years now, it
is abundantly clear to me that the taxonomic community DOES have
concerns about quality, and about ethics, and people frequently express
a desire to have such concerns incorporated into the Code, if only so
that people can no longer use the Code as a shield to hide behind while
they undermine the work of others. Something can be Code-compliant and
also be disastrously disruptive to nomenclature; works of dubious
quality can indeed pose a serious threat to nomenclatural stability. Can
the Code afford to keep ignoring this? Actually, it doesn't, at least
not entirely: for example, one can point to internal "double standards"
within the Code itself that reveal attempts to achieve quality control
(e.g., the idiosyncratically stringent conditions for the designation of
Neotypes in Article 75.3, like 75.3.7). Bearing this in mind, I view the
present situation as one that brings different aspects of the Code into
conflict with one another; if a lack of regulation leads to instability,
or alienates the community, which one of these three competing concerns
really needs to be given the highest priority?

My stance is that the desires of the community trump all other concerns,
primarily because if the community abandons the Code, it won't matter
how admirably we defend the principle of neutrality. In partial defense
of this view, I will also point out that the most recent edition of the
Code is set apart from the earlier Codes most dramatically by the
incorporation, at various crucial points, of the principle of
"prevailing usage" - the rather clear implication being that stability
cannot be divorced from the community consensus. In essence, everywhere
in the present Code the phrase "prevailing usage" appears, we have
ALREADY admitted that the community consensus trumps other concerns (in
those particular cases). Accordingly, I would maintain that stability is
the second highest priority. That puts the prohibition against
"regulation or constraint" as the lowest of these three competing
priorities. That does not mean that I advocate a complete abandonment of
neutrality! I am ONLY saying that I perceive that there are
circumstances where the Code, by prioritizing consensus and stability,
might NEED to apply some regulations - mostly in the realm of quality
control. Right now, the LANs are the closest thing we have to achieving
this objective. I believe we can do better, with the proper development
of ZooBank. The Code is presently chock full of Recommendations
(including a Code of Ethics), many of which could easily be "elevated"
to Article status (not to be applied retrospectively, with few
exceptions), with little more impact than improving the mandatory level
of quality control in taxonomy - which is ALREADY embodied in various
places in the Code, despite its subjective nature. The existing Articles
of this type are pretty numerous, and all are accepted, with no one
crying out about how subjective it is to insist (e.g.) that a neotype
must solve a "complex zoological problem" in order to be validly
designated (Art. 75.2), and these subjective measures are accepted in
practice precisely *because* the community accepts the premise that
quality control helps achieve stability. The Code and the community are
in accord. Obviously, expanding quality control should not be done
against the community's will, but I don't expect that there will be very
much genuine resistance; in fact, I would imagine that such an attempt
would find considerable support. More to the point, through interfaces
like the ICZN Wiki and the ICZN-list, we now have the potential to
interact more directly with the community, to better allow the Code to
reflect the community's interests - assuming they choose to express them.

To sum up, I believe the Code (and the Commission, including myself)
must be responsive to the needs of the community, and I believe we are
better equipped now to BE responsive than we ever have been. Insisting
upon neutrality *without exceptions* is not responsive, when the
community is asking for exceptions to be made. But part of that is the
community needs to make its collective voice more clearly heard. You can
say what you like about the Kaiser et al. paper, but it is an expression
of that collective voice, and even if I don't agree with everything in
it, I'm going to take it seriously.

Sincerely,