JF Mate aphodiinaemate at gmail.com
Wed May 22 03:31:59 CDT 2013

Stephen, lay off Wolfgang for a bit. He is venting in this forum to see
what the general feelings are. You will agree that any changes that appear
in the Code, will be relatively far in the future and rather more tempered
than what the herp taxonomists´community may want. For Wolfgang et al the
Code cannot offer a solution at this point, and it will be limited in any
case.

Doug has already offered several constructive comments on the topic. Some
of his suggestions are worthy of discussion as possible future changes to
the Code, which may or may not come to pass depending on feasibility of
implementation or even the desire of the rest to implement them. The Code
will evolve with the times and with the needs of its users and there is
nothing wrong with this. And based on the exchange going on for the last
week or so, it is safe to say that the democratic process is healthy and
"independents" (retired taxonomists, amateurs like me, etc) will not be
squeezed out.

The idea of communal shunning as a faster/cheaper/retroactive option than
LANs has already been mentioned, and it is probably a better approach than
broad-stroke legislation (yes, I am backpedalling a bit). If they feel it
is appropriate for their work, then as long as it has general support from
their members I don´t see anything wrong with it. There is a balance
between freedom and conformism to a group´s rules.

As a trivial comment I would like to point out that although you may be
correct in stating that ´..."There is no glory in naming ..."!´, I can´t
help but notice that in general, janitorial work does not get the same
recognition (or janitors for that matter) as the more "creative" work.

Best

Jason