Stephen Thorpe stephen_thorpe at yahoo.co.nz
Wed May 22 15:47:44 CDT 2013

Yes, Wolfgang, I respect your right to espouse your views, and I am just adding mine into the mix, hopefully to gain more of an overall balance on the issues. Again, my worry is "the slippery slope", i.e. what can start off as a reasonable change to exclude the most extreme taxonomic "vandals" can end up, if we are not very careful, as a weapon to exclude others who are not such "vandals". Related to this is the fact that poor quality taxonomy is sometimes committed by prima facie "respectable" taxonomists, and passes effortlessly through peer review into print. It seems wrong to focus too much on bad taxonomy coming from one quarter, a quarter which is rather less able to defend itself, than from the quarter that is protected by prima facie "legit" institutions (who crave overheads, and drop standards acccordingly)...
Cheers,
Stephen