[Taxacom] Wulf Schleip – Plagiarisation - an example everyone here can ch...

Robinwbruce at aol.com Robinwbruce at aol.com
Wed May 29 09:29:48 CDT 2013

I do not know of a ban-hammer, but can we not ALL just invoke  'the golden
rule' ?

Robin

In a message dated 5/29/2013 3:12:41 P.M. GMT Daylight Time,
timastrop at gmail.com writes:

I  wholeheartedly agree with Angelo* ' **This is absolutely unprofessional
and  annoying'*. Do we not have a ban-hammer?

*Tim Astrop, PhD  Candidate*
Program in Integrative Bioscience, The University of  Akron
timastrop.wordpress.com  <http://www.timastrop.wordpress.com>

On Wed, May  29, 2013 at 10:07 AM, Angelo Bolzern <
angelo.bolzern at arachnodet.com>  wrote:

> As a postoc working on taxonomy, I can not understand how  anyone can
> waist so much time in blaming others and searching the  internet for
> "bad posts" when there is so much to do in our core field  of work! So,
> please follow the suggestions from others and stop  posting this things
> on that list. This is absolutely unprofessional  and annoying.
>
> Sincerely,
>
>  Angelo
>

> Zitat von Raymond Hoser Snakeman Snakebusters  Reptile Parties
> <viper007 at live.com.au>:
>
>  >

> > Wulf Schleip
> > –  Plagiarisation.
> >
> > Dear
> > all,
>  >
> > if you
> > want to have an idea of the kind of  caper’s our good friend Wulf
Schleip
> gets
> > up to, I  suggest you all go to Wikipedia in a hurry and look at some of
>  the
> > older “Leiopython” pages to see some of the rubbish he has  put in his
> edited
> > versions, before he does what Wolfgang  Wuster recently did and had
> > some old Wikipedia
> > edits  deleted!
> >
> > Try for
> > example his edit of 10  November 2007.
> >
> > There
> > he wrote:
>  >
> > “Leiopython is a monotypic genus
> > created for  the nonvenomous
> >
> > python species, L.  albertisii,
> > found in New Guinea.
> >
> >  No
> > subspecies are currently recognized.[4]”
> >
>  > Well
> > that is the first lie as he knew of the Hoser 2000  paper recognising
two
> > subspecies!
> >
> >  Under
> > the heading “Taxonomy” at the far bottom of the page he  wrote:
> >
> > “new species L. hoserae, and two new  subspecies L. albertisii
> > barkeri and L. a. bennetti, are  described in Hoser (2000).[11] [12]
> > However, these descriptions  are
> > considered vague and questionable.[13][14]”
>  >
> > These linked numbers were to peals of wisdom in the  form
> > of two rants from his good mate and co-author of smear,  Wolfgang
Wuster!

> [...]
> >
> >  (2000),[10] [11] but these
> > descriptions are considered vague  and
> >
> > questionable.[12][13] In 2008,  Schleip[3]
> > redescribed two of
> >
> > Hoser's  (2000) taxa, providing proper
> > desciptions and diagnoses for the  taxa found valid. A third,
> >
> > Leiopython  albertisii
> > barkeri was
> > considered a nomen nudum due  to Hoser not having provided a
> >
> > description that  includes characters
> > to differentiate this taxon from others[3].  Furthermore,
> >
> > Leiopython albertisii
> >  was
> > put back to specific rank, and additionally, three new  species were
> >
> > introduced[3].”
> >
>  > Yes the
> > linked “papers” were more smear from himself and  Wuster and you may
> > say it may
> > not be plagiarisation  in it’s purest form, but it is certainly
unethical
> > behaviour none  the less.
> >
> > In
> > terms of Wulf Schleip, the  amateur snake keeper from Germany, he did
> after
> > spending  7 years knowingly denying a valid species that was properly
> >  described
> > by another person (that he had a hatred of), he then  publishes a paper
> (in
> > December 2008) and then goes global  on the web wherever he can get his
> grubby
> > hands and tries  to steal the credit for doing an allegedly “proper
> >  description”
> > and then seeks to manufacture the alleged fact he  did a “proper
> > description” by
> > repeatedly posting on  sites like Wikipedia to peddle the lie.
> >

>  >
> > PS – If
> > Schleip deletes the Wikipedia entries,  I have saved copies!
> >

> > All  the
> > best
> >

> >  Snakebustersâ - Australia's best reptilesâ
> >
> > The only  hands-on reptilesâ shows that lets people hold the animalsâ.
>  >
> > Reptile partiesâ, events, courses
> > Phones: 9812  3322
> >
> > 0412 777 211

> >  The Taxacom Archive back to 1992 may be searched with either of
> >  these methods:
> >
> > (1) by visiting  http://taxacom.markmail.org
> >
> > (2) a Google search  specified as:
> > site:mailman.nhm.ku.edu/pipermail/taxacom   your search terms here
> >
> > Celebrating 26 years of  Taxacom in 2013.
> >

>  --
> Dr. Angelo Bolzern
> 22 E 105th Street
> New York, NY,  10029
>
> United States

> The Taxacom  Archive back to 1992 may be searched with either of these
>  methods:
>
> (1) by visiting  http://taxacom.markmail.org
>
> (2) a Google search specified  as:  site:
> mailman.nhm.ku.edu/pipermail/taxacom  your search  terms here
>
> Celebrating 26 years of Taxacom in  2013.

Taxacom  Mailing  List
Taxacom at mailman.nhm.ku.edu